Sunday, October 1, 2017

Hodgepodge of News


The big news for the week is that it rained yesterday (Sept. 30th). It was the first rainstorm in Windhoek since April 24th. So, that was a total of five months with zero precipitation. We had a total of 1.4 mm of rain. Lots of lightening and thunder as well. Temperatures have been in the 30's C (90's F).  So, it has been hot. We will see what the future holds for the next few months.

I started teaching my last class last week. I have seven students, so it is a small class where I can generate some more interaction. Students said they wanted to start a petition asking that the university bring me back to teach next year. I doubt there will be an actual petition but maybe I will be able to arrange something that will allow me to return in the future in some limited capacity. Still working to help several graduate students refine their thesis topics. 

Went out to eat at an Indian restaurant the other night. Came across this interesting tree.


Flower looks like a fuzzy catepillar
 Lots of trees are in bloom at the moment. Purple, white, red, and yellow flowers of various kinds.

They are building a 4-story parking deck across from my office. Good to know that UNC Charlotte is not the only university that builds parking decks.


Here is a picture of me with some of my colleagues from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at NUST. I am the token white guy in the middle.


I try to keep the blog apolitical. However, most Namibians are not fans of President Trump. When President Trump mispronounced Namibia when speaking at a meeting with African leaders (including the President of Namibia) at the recent U.N. convention, the press jumped all over it. A local, high end resort company produced the following video spoofing the whole thing:


They also made a video right after President Trump's inauguration:


Hopefully no one is too offended but I thought there was some creative, good nature humor with some nice promotional material for Namibia.

It is hard to imagine that we only have 90 more days before we have to return. Still planning our last trips; one will be to the Victoria Falls region.

No comments:

Post a Comment